Is there a critical housing shortage in San Mateo County? If so, what should be done about it? A scientific sample of county residents recently participated in a Deliberative Poll® sponsored by Threshold 2008, a coalition of civic groups in the county. The weekend sample of 238 participants considered competing policy options, became more informed about them, questioned competing experts and by the end of the weekend, changed their views. The Deliberative Poll®, conducted as part of a Countywide Assembly on Housing Choices, was hosted by Cañada College on the weekend of March 15-16, 2008.
- Results of the San Mateo Countywide Assembly on Housing Choices
- Informed citizens identify need for more housing, majority support higher density, more regional solutions
- Threshold 2008
Threshold 2008 is an unprecedented campaign to build the public voice about housing issues and options in San Mateo County.
- Briefing Document: Countywide Assembly on Housing Choices in San Mateo County
- Deliberative Polling helps residents improve knowledge of affordable housing issues, Stanford Report, 4/2008. PDF
- ABC7 News reports on Threshold 2008, KGO TV, 3/2008
- Dense housing can win support: Views shift as people become more informed, study shows, The Mercury News, 3/2008
- San Mateo County tests feedback format to engage citizens in housing debate, San Mateo County Times, 3/2008 PDF